Each year, the Puget Sound Chapter of the STC sponsors one scholarship, usually in the amount of $1,000, to help students further their education in technical communication.
In 2020, we are offering to sponsor ten STC student memberships, valued at $75 each, in addition to the $1,000 scholarship.
The Puget Sound Chapter established the scholarship in 1986 to honor James W. Souther and Myron L. White, two Society Fellows who made significant contributions to STC (at both the chapter and society levels) and to the technical communication community as a whole. They were also instrumental in establishing the Puget Sound Chapter.
Students enrolled in certificate programs in the college and university programs listed below are eligible for the sponsored STC student membership only.
Students enrolled in two-year, four-year, and graduate programs in colleges and universities listed below and who are dues-paying members of STC.org are eligible to apply for both the scholarship and the sponsored STC student membership.
- Edmonds Community College: A.T.A., Visual Communications
- Oregon Institute of Technology: B.S., Communication, minor in Technical Communication
- Shoreline Community College: A.A.A.S., Graphic Design
- UW College of Engineering: B.S., M.S.T.C., PhD., Human-Centered Design and Engineering
- UW College of Education: M.Ed., Educational Communication and Technology
- UW School of Art: B.F.A., M.F.A., Visual Communication Design
- Western Washington University: B.S., Industrial Design
For 2019, the application period is from February 15th to May 31st, 2020. Applications must be received May 31st 11:59 p.m. PST in order to be considered.
Scholarships will be announced by July 31st, 2020.