Like all other STC chapters, the Puget Sound chapter is run entirely by volunteers.
Volunteering is a great way to meet other technical communicators, build your network, and further your career. In general, volunteers spend about 10 hours or less on tasks each month, although it depends on the role and what chapter activities are planned. We have 8 chapter meetings every year. They are held on the third Tuesday of the month, and some are virtual. We also have board meetings on the first Tuesday of the month.
As a token of our appreciation, all volunteers can attend our events at no cost. It’s our way of thanking you for your time.
We are currently in need of help for these volunteer positions. If you’re interested and want to find out more, please get in touch on our Contact page.
Are you up on the latest job openings within our industry? Do you know recruiters and hiring managers that you can share with other STC-PSC members? If so, consider helping with these tasks:
- Post job opportunities, references, and resumes for members looking for technical communication positions
- Develop relationships with Puget Sound companies and agencies looking for technical communicators
Do you have a passion for students and mentoring? If so, consider helping with these tasks:
- Act as liaison between schools and STC-PSC
- Encourage students to become involved with STC-PSC
- Implement mentoring program, pairing professional writers with students
Do you have contacts with companies and individuals that would consider sponsoring STC-PSC events? If so, consider helping with these tasks:
- Find new sponsors and renew existing sponsors
- Make recommendations to increase the benefits of sponsorship
Do you consider yourself a matchmaker where you can pair people with jobs? If so, consider helping with these tasks:
- Find volunteers for all open positions
- Write descriptions for all positions, especially open ones
Resources for Volunteers
We have a Volunteer Handbook available to help members with many of the functions that make our chapter run so well.
If you are a volunteer and need to be reimbursed for any expenses, use the Reimbursement Form.