WordPress Portfolio and Resume Workshop
June 30th, 2018
From 8:30-2 PM with continental breakfast and coffee service.
In today’s world, the first thing recruiters want to see AFTER your resume is a portfolio of your work. You no longer have the opportunity to show it during the interview. You won’t get to the interview stage without the portfolio.
In this workshop, you will learn how to:
- Create either a hosted or free WordPress site (you will do this piece during outside setup prior to the class)
- Select from one of several free themes that are good choices to use for an online portfolio
- Install WordPress and add a theme to your site
- Learn a tiny bit of HTML code to make your Portfolio and Resume show better
- Turn your current resume into an online version
- Add images to your resume
- Add portfolio pieces and images to your portfolio page to allow recruiters to review images and more in-dept examples of your work.
- Learn to change themes
- Learn to add additional plugins to enhance the appearance of your site
Download the Setup File
Here are the setup instructions. Use these prior to the start of class to set up your WordPress site correctly: WordPress Setup PPT File
Attend a Check In Session Prior to Class
Prior to the class you need to attend a setup check in. Options are either on Saturday June 16th or 23rd. Use the following meeting information for either date. The meeting will be quick. You just need to verify that you are ready to go on the class date.
To use the computer audio connection, sign on early and test the speakers and microphone before you connect. Otherwise, you will have issues with the audio and will need to call in using the phone number below.
To call in: US: +16468769923
Meeting ID: 762640402
University of WA – Loew Hall, Room 111
Your site does not need to look like these samples. You will learn to change the layout, colors, and other items to customize your site.